Program Associate, Activate New York
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions—including a groundbreaking new partnership with the National Science Foundation—to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
The results are game changing: Activate Fellows have launched 145 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1.3B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,800 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; Houston, TX; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
The Program (Fellowship) Associate provides operational support to the community team and fellows. This person is responsible for coordinating the fellowship experience for their community, including regular fellow programming, local events, and new fellow selection and onboarding. They also track fellowship requirements, and take a significant role in entering and managing data for their community of fellows.
They will take on additional tasks as needed for the local community team and the national team, including: aiding the community team to build awareness in the local ecosystem, helping to establish local or national processes, providing assistance to national teams (Fellowship and other Activate departments) according to need.
The Program (Fellowship) Associate reports to the Fellowship Manager in their community.
- Design and execute fellowship and ecosystem events, ensuring smooth operations and thoughtful achievement of event objectives. This includes industry panels and speakers, social events, webinars, and recruitment events with potential fellows.
- Manage fellow data and materials, including regular surveys, programming attendance, and onboarding paperwork.
- Ensure smooth execution and record-keeping of standard fellowship milestones, including meetings and reports.
- Schedule and coordinate the fellow selection process.
- Actively participate in strategic and operational meetings at the team, community and organizational level.
- Contribute to the operational execution of additional fellow community and fellowship team initiatives.
- Support efforts to make Activate a diverse, equitable and inclusive community.
Potential other Responsibilities
As a member of a young and growing organization, the PA may take on a diverse set of other tasks according to program and community need. Examples include:
- Support 1-3 national projects per year;
- Manage the community office space, including visitor support;
- Represent Activate at external events;
- Support on reports to funders/partners.
The Ideal Candidate...
- Has 1-3 years of experience with project management, data management, or administrative duties.
- Has experience planning events of different sizes, in a professional or volunteer capacity.
- Has excellent time management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously.
- Has excellent attention to detail.
- Is comfortable with data management systems and spreadsheets, including AirTable, Asana, Slack and other project management tools.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Has a positive attitude, sense of humor, and flexible working style.
- Is a passionate and mission-driven individual, enthusiastic about scaling scientific solutions in collaboration with our partners.
The starting salary for this role is $69,000. We offer a generous bonus structure and a comprehensive benefits package that includes professional development, $2,000 in annual wellness funds, unlimited paid time off, 90% paid healthcare premiums for employee and dependents, and the opportunity to join a retirement plan with a 3% match after one year of employment.
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.