Staff Software Engineer (Infrastructure and Security)
In the last few years, remote and hybrid work has had an explosion in popularity, giving workers an unprecedented level of access to opportunity and an increase in quality of life. However, our existing tools were not set up to do remote work well. Work can be isolating, transactional, and void of the camaraderie that makes everyone feel like they’re in it together.
To solve this, Gather builds virtual offices that bring the best of in-person work to remote. We’ve already seen success with our approach, with over 10,000 remote-first companies using our spaces every day.
And yet it’s still the early days for our broader vision of the Metaverse. We’re excited about how the Metaverse can break down physical constraints that exist today, not just in where you can work, but which friends/family you can see, or what educational opportunities you can have access to.
Join us in this mission!
You’ll be responsible for the general infrastructure that underlies Gather’s services, from our game servers to our API servers. This encompasses the infrastructure-as-code, tools, configuration, automation, and scripts that build, deploy, and run our many services in cloud environments. In partnership with engineering leadership, you’ll implement security best-practices, guide long-term technology decisions, and build the future of Gather’s infrastructure.
Gather's Tech Stack
Gather is simultaneously a modern web app, multiplayer video game, and live video conferencing platform. This means our infrastructure involves several main components, all built in-house:
- An HTTP service to serve the site and API
- A game service to handle real-time game state updates
- A video service to power live video chat
Gather's Application is currently written in Typescript (frontend/backend). Prior Typescript knowledge is not a requirement for the Infrastructure team.
Focus areas that we could use a hand with
- Security – as Gather grows, we have ever more responsibility to ensure the safety of our systems and customer data. We need an infrastructure engineer who is security-minded. Champion the infosec cause, and build air-tight VPCs.
- Networking – we need a cutting-edge and rock-solid video network. Shave latency and thrill our users…with consistency.
- Canary Environments – we’re constantly deploying, and that requires great care. Build the mechanisms that let us detect problems before they become an incident.
- Multi-cloud Infrastructure – manage, troubleshoot, and deploy to multiple Kubernetes clusters. Spread them across multiple clouds and make sure they’re up through the worst datacenter outages.
What you bring:
- Software Engineering experience in Systems (OS, Distributed, Networking, etc.), Infrastructure, Security, DevOps, SRE, or related background.
- Deep knowledge of Kubernetes and the networking concepts that it relies upon. Deploying apps is just the beginning — you must be able to troubleshoot when they don’t.
- Have experience implementing secure by-default designs and features in cloud infrastructure endpoints, tooling, and processes.
- Experience implementing metrics and monitoring, sending data to one or more of Prometheus, New Relic, or Datadog.
- Programming experience with one or more of Golang, Python, or NodeJS, and the ability to write applications that communicate with APIs like Kubernetes and AWS.
- Linux operational expertise: know the ins and outs of Bash scripting and how to keep a system healthy.
- Experience writing and maintaining Terraform stacks.
- A love for learning and growing yourself and the team around you.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Excitement for a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Passion for Gather and our mission to build a metaverse for all.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience interpreting and implementing the requirements of a SOC2, GDPR, or ISO compliance program.
- 1+ years' experience developing and implementing automation and security controls on AWS.
- You compile Linux kernels not because you have to, but because you want to.
- Understanding of the pros and cons of different release processes, and how to apply Git and other tools to achieve them.
US Salary Range
At Gather, compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. The base salary range for this position in the selected city is $164,000 - $220,375 annually and we encourage candidates outside of this salary range to apply.
Base pay is one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for a stock reward program.
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days to recharge
- Meal stipend twice a week to keep you nourished
- Remote work, education, and health & wellness stipend
- Support for family planning & gender-affirmation
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please notify the recruiter you are working with. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.