Electrical and Embedded Systems Lead
Cambridge, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, Volta is building a product to streamline DNA sequencing sample prep. As DNA sequencing is the foundational technology behind humanity‘s understanding of diseases and the tool that provides a new view into the fundamentals of biology, Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution; driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. Volta has brought ht together individuals from many different fields (physics, biology, engineering, operations) to work toward one main shared goal -- build the most advanced sample prep solution for sequencing. We are a product and data-driven company where employees are expected to learn, grow and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to Volta with huge upside potential. With commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
We are seeking a highly motivated Principal Instrument Integration Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will be leading our efforts for the integration, verification and validation, and continued engineering of Volta Labs instruments. They will lead a team of junior engineers as well as be hands-on in the lab.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Leading technical projects that involve bringing together firmware and hardware into fully-functional subsystems in our products and delivering instrument prototypes.
- Define and manage subsystem and system level requirements, ensuring engineering efforts are aligned with product needs.
- Lead or participate in design reviews, code reviews, and system architecture reviews.
- Define and implement control algorithms and calibration procedures for complex electro-mechanical and electrical subsystems.
- Developing sensor-based subsystems and characterization sensor performance.
- Mentoring junior engineers.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical proficiency in systems/electrical engineering.
- Experience leading complex cross-disciplinary engineering projects
- Experience managing system and subsystem requirements.
- Well versed in hardware debugging and passionate about understanding why things work (or don't!)
- Are comfortable working fluidly across engineering disciplines - from mechanical design to electrical engineering to embedded software.
- Knowledge of motion control, sensors, and control algorithms.
- Capability of guiding team through the complete product development phases.
- Comfortable working on Linux systems, scripting with Python and familiarity with low-level embedded firmware (C++ preferred)
- Self-motivated and strong problem-solving ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Electrical, Electronics or Computer Engineering. Master’s degree preferred.
- Have developed and tested complex electro-mechanical systems or robotic systems for multiple products, from early concept through to mass production
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary design, development, integration and test teams
- Led multiple projects overseeing teams of more than 5 engineers.
Our Benefits and Perks:
- Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
- Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
- HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
- Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
- 12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
- Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
- Other perks, such as Weekly on-site Lunches, coffee dates with colleagues, and happy hours.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
See more open positions at Volta Labs
Something looks off?