DevOps Engineer (part-time)
Boom is on a mission to level the playing field for the 110+ million renters in the US by making housing more flexible, affordable, and attainable. We’ve started by creating rent payment tools that enable renters to pay on the schedule they define and build credit in the process, currently serving thousands of renters. We are led by a team of second-time founders Rob Whiting (ex-BCG, Rubicon) and Kirill Moizik (Eco, Technion, Grubhub). It's backed by investors such as Starting Line, Clocktower Ventures, Gilgamesh Ventures (Petal co-founders), and angels such as William Hockey and Zach Perret (Co-founders of Plaid) who led Boom's pre-seed round (joined by Harry Stebbings and others from places like Cash App, Mint House, Landis, Party Round, and Redfin).
As our first engineer focused on developer operations, you will get to work alongside our senior engineering team to help set up the processes and best practices to ensure Boom's platform continues to scale with the company's growth. This role can be separated into two parts: Initially, you will be responsible for migrating Boom from Heroku to AWS. If that is successful, the second part: establishing and taking ownership of our DevOps processes and continuing to work on open DevOps-related tickets. This role may be remote.
What you'll do
- Leading the migration process from Heroku to AWS, ensuring a seamless transition of all relevant applications and services.
- Collaborating with the development and infrastructure teams to design, implement, and maintain robust CI/CD pipelines.
- Automating and streamlining deployment processes to optimize the development workflow and increase deployment frequency.
- Monitoring and managing the AWS infrastructure, identifying performance bottlenecks, and implementing solutions to enhance system reliability.
- Implementing security best practices, conducting regular audits, and ensuring the safety and privacy of our users' data.
- Working closely with the development team to troubleshoot issues, provide technical support, and optimize application performance.
What you'll need
- Proven experience as a DevOps Engineer or a similar role, with hands-on experience in cloud-based environments (AWS preferred).
- Strong expertise in deploying and managing web applications and services on platforms like Heroku, AWS, or similar cloud services.
- Proficiency in scripting languages like Python, Ruby, or Shell, and experience with automation and configuration management tools (e.g., Ansible, Terraform).
- Familiarity with CI/CD tools (e.g., Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD) and version control systems (e.g., Git).
- Understanding of containerization technologies such as Docker and container orchestration tools like Kubernetes.
- Solid knowledge of networking concepts, security principles, and best practices in cloud environments.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex technical issues independently.
Benefits of working at Boom
- Humble team, smart people, interesting work
- This role is part-time so full time benefits are not offered
How to apply
Apply on Angelist and send a quick paragrah addressed to Rob as to why you're interested / qualified.