Staff Product Designer (Contract)
In the last few years, remote and hybrid work has had an explosion in popularity, giving workers an unprecedented level of access to opportunity and an increase in quality of life. However, our existing tools were not set up to do remote work well. Work can be isolating, transactional, and void of the camaraderie that makes everyone feel like they’re in it together.
To solve this, Gather builds virtual offices that bring the best of in-person work to remote. We’ve already seen success with our approach, with over 10,000 remote-first companies using our spaces every day.
And yet it’s still the early days for our broader vision of the Metaverse. We’re excited about how the Metaverse can break down physical constraints that exist today, not just in where you can work, but which friends/family you can see, or what educational opportunities you can have access to.
Join us in this mission!
*** This is a 1-3 month contract position working directly with our CPO and Co-Founder & CEO to execute on short-term mission-critical projects.
Come dream with us
Gather is a small team right now, meaning every designer has an extremely significant role in shaping and executing the vision of the company.
Questions we find ourselves asking:
- How do we enable the future of remote or hybrid work? What kind of product research and analysis should we be doing now in all of our product verticals to be best prepared to deliver the best customer experience for this use case?
- How do we, broadly, enable real, meaningful, social connection over the internet vs the transactional feeling that comes with traditional solutions?
- How do we emulate the experience of sitting around a table with teammates or friends and hanging out?
- How can we empower users to customize their own experience so they feel a sense of pride in their space?
- … and more!
Where you’ll make an impact:
- Partner with Product, Art, Maps, Engineering, Data and other depts to shape an inspiring vision and strategy for the future of our Remote Work products.
- Own the end-to-end design proposals and plans for highly strategic and complex projects – from IA to wireframes to user flows to high-fidelity mocks to prototypes and everything in between.
- Set a standard of operational excellence by driving the design side of projects extremely effectively through strong project management, clear communication, and goal setting.
- Validate ideas throughout the lifecycle of the project by interviewing/surveying customers directly, incorporating insights, and sharing insights back to the team.
- Build alignment across diverse teams by being able to successfully present ideas to a range of teams and stakeholders across Gather.
What you bring:
- You have at least 7-10+ years of relevant experience as an individual contributor on an in-house product design team.
- You have the ability to work on ambiguous and broad problems/opportunities, along with smaller well-defined projects.
- You are a critical participant in design reviews – both in delivering feedback to teammates to strengthen their work, but also in soliciting feedback at every step of the process.
- You are strong across interaction design, visual design, prototyping, and information architecture.
- You have experience designing mobile and web consumer products at scale. A combination of consumer and B2B experience is ideal. Bonus: You have worked in gaming and/or are passionate about games yourself.
- You have exceptional verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical partners, internally and externally.
- You are comfortable in ambiguous situations and dynamic environments and understand what fast growing startups entail for designers.
- You are scrappy, have a bias toward action, and love moving fast.
- You enjoy spending time with customers and are adept and getting to the root problems that our product is uniquely positioned to solve.
- You know how to build strong relationships cross-functionally.
US Hourly Range
Gather is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please notify the recruiter you are working with. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.