Staff Software Engineer (Desktop)
In the last few years, remote and hybrid work has had an explosion in popularity, giving workers an unprecedented level of access to opportunity and an increase in quality of life. However, our existing tools were not set up to do remote work well. Work can be isolating, transactional, and void of the camaraderie that makes everyone feel like they’re in it together.
To solve this, Gather builds virtual offices that bring the best of in-person work to remote. We’ve already seen success with our approach, with over 10,000 remote-first companies using our spaces every day.
And yet it’s still the early days for our broader vision of the Metaverse. We’re excited about how the Metaverse can break down physical constraints that exist today, not just in where you can work, but which friends/family you can see, or what educational opportunities you can have access to.
Join us in this mission!
As a Staff Software Engineer on our Desktop team, you’ll be responsible for shaping and building our Electron-based desktop application used by tens of thousands of remote offices across the globe. Our desktop application powers our full Gather experience – everything from running performance-intensive workloads like video conversation experiences with dozens of participants to rendering fully customized virtual offices with multiplayer functionality. You’ll take a leading role in building out future versions of our desktop application.
Where you will make an impact:
- Design and iterate on the foundations of our Electron application
- Build and execute our strategy for application performance and reliability
- Own and lead the build, test, and deploy process for our desktop application
- Partner with the video team to build customized performance wins for video conversations
- Collaborate closely with product engineering teams to help drive success on desktop-specific features
What you bring:
- 4+ years of experience building desktop applications for Windows or MacOS
- 2+ years of experience working on native applications for Windows/MacOS or Node.js native add-ons
- Experience or familiarity with Electron and Chromium
- Intrinsic motivation and the drive to solve difficult problems without guidance
- A keen intuition for well-designed software and writing performant, scalable code
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize in a chaotic and ambiguous environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Nice to Haves:
- 2+ years of experience with Electron
- Experience working with audio/video technologies in a desktop or browser application (encoding, decoding, WebRTC, audio/video codecs)
- Experience working with rendering frameworks like WebGL
US Salary Range
At Gather, compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. The base salary range for this position in the selected city is $164,000 - $220,375 annually and we encourage candidates outside of this salary range to apply.
Base pay is one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for a stock reward program.
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days to recharge
- Meal stipend twice a week to keep you nourished
- Remote work, education, and health & wellness stipend
- Support for family planning & gender-affirmation
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please notify the recruiter you are working with. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.