Associate Director, Genomics Assay Development
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, Volta is building a product to streamline DNA sequencing sample prep. As DNA sequencing is the foundational technology behind humanity‘s understanding of diseases and the tool that provides a new view into the fundamentals of biology, Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. Volta has brought together individuals from many different fields (physics, biology, engineering, operations) to work toward one main shared goal -- build the most advanced sample prep solution for sequencing. We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Applications Development Lead to join our team. Reporting to Head of Applications development, the ideal candidate will be responsible for leading technical feasibility and product development of NGS sample prep workflows on the Volta Labs platform. They will lead a team of junior scientists as well as be hands-on in the lab. This role will work closely with internal product management and engineering teams as well as interface with external partners including customers.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Lead technical development of NGS sample prep workflows on Volta’s platform and taking them through commercialization.
- Independently design, plan, and carry out experiments, perform in-depth data analysis, and present results and conclusions for internal review.
- Use expertise and systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot and solve complex development issues.
- Independently define and plan project goals, design experiments and achieve them with the help of the team.
- Responsible for the management and professional development of a team of researchers.
- Collaborate with product management and engineering to coordinate priorities, deliverables, and timelines for development projects.
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature, attending conferences, and keeping up to date with latest technology developments. The team will lean heavily on you as a resource and a technical expert.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical proficiency with a background in molecular biology, bioengineering, biochemistry, or related field.
- Capability of guiding team through the complete product development phases.
- Highly collaborative and able to work well within multidisciplinary teams.
- Innovative in overcoming technical challenges.
- Self-motivated and strong problem-solving ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge and experience in experimental design and in verification / validation of experimental design, statistical data analysis and interpretation.
- Familiar with NGS data analysis, Bioinformatics knowledge and skills are preferred.
- Detail-oriented in training research assistants
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- You are a continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in Bioengineering, cellular and/or molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 7+ years’ industry experience, preferably in product development with emphasis on NGS library assays.
- Extensive experience in nucleic acid process and manipulation, NGS assays, library prep workflows, and sequencing platforms, etc.
- Demonstrated experience leading a technical team/project, or serving on a cross-functional development team.
- Experience with instrument and platform development is preferred.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!