Senior Materials Scientist/ Engineer - Films and Coatings
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
- Improve performance of the consumables and coatings through process development and new formulations.
- Run extensive tests for quality control, in preparation for shipping to early-access customers.
- Individually contribute and lead a team to develop new coating methods and support existing customers.
- Invent and generate IP for the company.
- Research and develop new materials, methods for consumable manufacturing.
- Define priorities for new feature development in collaboration with the engineering and biology team.
- Masters or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physical Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, or Material Science preferred.
- 4 or more years in a materials sciences, coatings, microfluidics, nano-technology or similar company.
- Strong experience with developing film-based technologies, polymer formulations, coating methods, mechanical rapid prototyping, and mechanical testing.
- Experience working with biological materials preferred -- nucleic acids, proteins, cells, buffers.
- Strong hands-on experience and proven ability to design experiments, test, and validate various films and coatings.
- Enthusiasm and demonstrated skills and aptitude for leading and executing independent experimental R&D projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-based start-up work environment with the ability to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to clearly articulate ideas, protocols, and concepts with biologists, engineers, and non-scientists.
- Excellent organization and task planning skills and capability for multi-tasking.
- Good communication, interpersonal, teamwork, and supervisory skills.
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision.
Nice to Have
- Experience with biological or medical device development.
- Employment experience in a small company setting.
- Experience with roll-to-roll process development
Volta Labs offers both competitive cash and equity compensation, as well as health, dental, and vision coverage, and unlimited paid time off. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!