Systems Integration Lead - Fluidics
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
Reporting to the Head of Applications Development and working closely with the Applications Development Program Manager and Scientists, this Team Lead will be responsible for integrating genomic applications on the Volta Labs fluidics platform and contributing to internal process improvements. They will lead a team of integration engineers.
Volta is building a suite of genomics applications for its disruptive digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. We are seeking an energetic and experienced individual with a proven track record in the development of successfully commercialized genomics sample prep applications, managing a technical team, and functioning effectively in a matrixed environment.
- Drive the automation of complex biochemical workflows on Volta Labs' technology platform technologies, leveraging extensive expertise in droplet fluidics, liquid handling, workflow automation and biochemistry.
- Lead and execute high-complexity integration projects, ensuring seamless operation of integrated systems with a focus on onboarding, validation and verification of critical genomics applications on the platform.
- Provide technical leadership within the Systems Integration Engineering team, mentoring and guiding junior engineers, and taking ownership of key projects.
- Play a pivotal role in decision-making regarding technology selection and architectural choices for integration projects.
- Be the go-to expert for resolving the most challenging integration issues, applying innovative problem-solving skills.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional development teams, fostering a collaborative environment with the engineering, software and biology team to achieve project objectives.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Experience: Possess 7+ years of experience with hands-on experimentation of hardware/ instrumentation, preferably in life sciences
- Problem Solving: Excel at bringing structure to complex, unstructured problems, with a proven ability to research information, solve challenging technical issues, and manage projects under tight timelines
- Leadership and Mentorship: Exhibit leadership qualities, guiding and mentoring junior engineers, and taking ownership of high-impact projects.
- Integration Expertise: Demonstrate deep expertise in experimental plans for characterization, optimization, and root cause analysis of integrated electromechanical and microfluidic systems
- Laboratory Skills: Showcase strong experimental laboratory skills through a track record of work experience in the field
- Education: MS/Ph.D in engineering, physics, chemistry, molecular biology or equivalent field of study with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in product or process development (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
Nice to Have
- Cross-functional Teamwork: A successful track record of working seamlessly with cross-functional development teams to achieve project goals.
- Automated Liquid Handling: Experience in operating and programming automated liquid handling systems, such as Hamilton, Tecan, Agilent, or similar platforms.
- Molecular Biology Integration: Proven proficiency in converting molecular biology laboratory tests, including PCR/qPCR, DNA assembly methods, and sequencing library preparation, into a liquid handling system, optimizing and automating these processes.
The System Integration Lead will play a pivotal role in advancing our cutting-edge platform technologies and driving the integration of complex systems to meet the evolving needs of our customers and the industry.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!