Senior R&D Engineer - Electrowetting
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 3, 2023
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
The R&D team works at the interface of hardware, software, fluidics and materials. To develop and improve automated fluidic processes, we collaborate with engineers and scientists in all teams at Volta Labs.
- Develop novel methods and understanding of liquid droplet manipulation, using electrowetting.
- Interact with electrical and firmware engineers to design and test control systems from the ground-up.
- Design and perform experiments to optimize electrowetting technology by exploring parameter space (hardware/electronics/control) which may include: electrode geometry and layout, control patterns, dielectric stackup.
- Lead materials selection for consumables (dielectrics, coatings).
- PhD in Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a relevant field, or masters degree and 1-4+ years of industry experience.
- Experience interfacing with multi-disciplinary RD and engineering teams.
- Familiarity with fluid dynamics.
- Experience in the development of physics-based models.
- Experience with electronics and control systems.
- Experience with PCB design.
- Development and prototyping of fluidics systems and consumables.
- Experience in research and development of electrowetting processes or platforms.
- Experience with characterization of polymer films and coatings.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!