Scientist/Senior Scientist - Short Read Sequencing
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
Volta is building a suite of genomics applications for its disruptive digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Reporting to the Head of Applications Development and working closely with the Applications Development Program Manager and engineers, this Scientist will be responsible for the design and development of short-read sequencing sample prep applications on the Volta platform.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Own short-read sample prep applications development projects from feasibility, through design, development, and verification and validation, to design transfer.
- Actively participate in all hands-on work, identify problems and root causes, systematically troubleshoot and solve complex issues.
- Lead experimental design, guide data analysis and reporting, and review the outputs of each project.
- Translate requirements into a detailed development plan and work closely with the Program Manager to manage deliverables, timelines and resources.
- Manage junior RA(s) on their day to day tasks
- Work closely with hardware and software engineers to design, develop and optimize applications to achieve the best chemistry performance and user experience.
- Conduct regular design reviews and report pro-actively to the broader team.
- Stay abreast of next-generation sequencing technologies, applications and sample prep methods and chemistries through scientific literature, conference attendance, customer interactions (mediated by the Commercial team) and provide inputs into the Applications Development roadmap.
Required Skills and Abilities
- A thorough understanding of short-read sequencing technologies and sample prep methods, including chemistry, workflows, automation (preferred) and data analysis.
- Hands-on experience in next-generation sequencing, e.g. Illumina, Oxford Nanopore or PacBio platforms with various sample types, including purified DNA, microbial, fresh and FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize, understand the bigger picture and master the fine details, think laterally, and solve technical and other problems creatively.
- A thorough understanding of formal product design and development processes (preferred for Senior Scientist applicants).
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently, and report progress proactively and efficiently.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
Education and Experience
- PhD in bioengineering, molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 0-2 years for Scientist / 3+ years for Senior Scientist of relevant experience in developing and launching products (reagents, applications and/or instrumentation) in the genomics/life sciences space.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!