Scientist/Senior Scientist - Short Read Sequencing
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
As a Scientist/Senior Scientist in short-read sequencing at Volta, you will design and develop short-read sequencing sample prep applications on our proprietary digital fluidics platform. This role offers a unique opportunity to work on groundbreaking projects that have the potential to change the future of genomics. You will report to the Head of Applications Development and work closely with the Applications Development Program Manager and engineers.
- Own short-read sample prep applications development projects from feasibility, through verification and validation, to design transfer.
- Actively participate in all hands-on work, identify problems and root causes, systematically troubleshoot and solve complex issues, and provide innovative solutions.
- Lead experimental design, guide data analysis and reporting, and review outputs.
- Translate requirements into a detailed development plan and work closely with the Program Manager to manage deliverables, timelines and resources.
- Mentor and manage junior RA(s).
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, including engineers, to optimize applications for the best chemistry performance and user experience.
- Conduct regular design reviews and report pro-actively to the broader team.
- Stay up-to-date with generation sequencing technologies through scientific literature, conference attendance, and customer interactions, and provide inputs into the Applications Development roadmap.
- PhD in bioengineering, molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 0-2 years for Scientist / 3+ years for Senior Scientist of relevant experience in developing and launching products (reagents, applications and/or instrumentation) in the genomics/life sciences space.
- A thorough understanding of short-read sequencing technologies and sample prep methods, including chemistry, workflows, automation (preferred) and data analysis.
- Practical experience in next-generation sequencing, e.g. Illumina, Oxford Nanopore or PacBio platforms with various sample types, including purified DNA, microbial, fresh and FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.
- Hands-on expertise in genomics assay development.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information, grasp the broader context while mastering finer details, think creatively and laterally, and solve technical and other challenges innovatively.
- A solid grasp on formal product design and development processes (preferred for Senior Scientist applicants).
- Self-driven and capable of working independently, with a proactive and efficient reporting style.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A commitment to continuous learning and growth mindset.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!