Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
Volta is building a suite of genomics applications for its disruptive digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Reporting to the Head of Applications Development and working closely with Scientists from the Application Development team, the ideal candidate will be responsible for the development of bioinformatic infrastructure as well as collaborating with Scientists to design experiments and analyze sequencing results.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Scientists to analyze NGS data from multiple DNA sequencing platforms.
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics pipelines for NGS data analysis.
- Collaborate with biologists, data scientists, and other software engineers to understand the specific requirements and constraints of NGS data analysis for internal research.
- Stay abreast of next-generation sequencing technologies and applications through scientific literature, conference attendance, customer interactions (mediated by the Commercial team) and provide inputs into the Applications Development roadmap.
- Actively participate in all hands-on work, identify problems and root causes, systematically troubleshoot and solve complex issues.
- Report pro-actively to the broader team.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with relevant bioinformatics tools and libraries.
- Experience with Python or R.
- Experience with version control (Github or Gitlab).
- Experience with data analysis from one or more DNA sequencing analysis platforms.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize, understand the bigger picture and master the fine details, think laterally, and solve technical problems creatively.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently, and report progress proactively and efficiently.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
Nice to have skills:
- Experience with containerization (Docker, Singularity).
- Experience with cloud computing infrastructure like AWS.
Education and Experience:
- 1-3+ years of industry experience (post-graduation) in the genomics/life sciences space.
- MSc or higher in bioinformatics, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related disciplines.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!