Technical Director - Genomics Applications (Assay) Development
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2023
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
We’re a startup, about to deliver our Instrument and platform to early-adopting customers this year.
The Technical Director will report into the Head of Applications Development, taking on management of a current team of 3 that has plans to grow this year. You’ll own the strategy and manage the End To End product development lifecycle (early research and experimentation, feasibility, design and development, verification and validation) across 30 different applications currently identified in our product portfolio.
This is a critical role that has strategic and hands-on elements, perfect for a builder type who craves variety and visible impact on a growing team.
Day To Day and Year 1:
- Managing and overseeing the Application Development team’s work: scoping and delegating tasks, deliverable deadlines, and supporting efforts hands-on when needed
- Continuous mentorship across the team; finding small and large opportunities for teambuilding and L&D in the moment
- Partnering with Leadership, supporting strategy meetings, defining roadmap, shaping the product outcomes and overall culture at Volta
- Driving and participating in hiring: We plan to grow steadily over the next 2-3 years as we commercialize. You’ll regularly assess and define team needs, work with Finance & People Operations to scale your team healthily and proactively
Within 3 months you’ll… Complete onboarding, gain a full understanding of our products and market opportunity, and establish validation for the first set of applications to launch.
By 6 months you’ll… Own team development & hiring, define a detailed roadmap for next calendar year, and be actively participating in post-commercialization restrategizing & customer launches.
At 12+ months you’ll… Fully own one or more product portfolios, support further team growth across hiring and promotions, and be actively sustaining launched products with customers and supporting new product launches
Volta sits at the crossroads of biology, robotics, and engineering. To be successful in this role, you should have accomplished the below and be confident in owning each area on our team:
1. Launched or heavily participated in multiple (2+) end-to-end product development cycles (ideation through post-launch activities)
2. Experience with and up-to-date knowledge of general molecular biology and Next Generation Sequencing workflows (sample prep strategies and chemistries including nucleic acid extraction and manipulation)
3. Technical project/program management experience of a team 5+ in size, including delegation, quality management, retrospectives, and all other PM activities
4. Has sat at the table or directly supported strategy development of a life sciences tools product space (sequencing, diagnostics, genomics, reagents, etc)
5. Success leading technical interactions with Key Opinion Leaders and/or early adopters of a commercialized technology or product
Expertise in lab automation and instrument/platform development is a nice-to-have that supports future projects this role will
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!