Scientist, Genomics Assay Development
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Sunday, March 7, 2021
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
Volta Labs is looking for a scientist who enjoys solving problems creatively in genomics and synthetic biology application development.
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new capabilities with our proprietary fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, we are developing the future of automation and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in life sciences. We are at an exciting inflection point as we emerge out of stealth mode and scale up. Alongside our collaborators, we have demonstrated powerful and unique competencies that are now being developed into robust products for the decentralization of Next Generation Sequencing. This beachhead application is on the bleeding edge of innovation and adoption, and we intend to shape the future with our paradigm shifting platform.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. We take pride in having a wealth of internal knowledge and experiences across all aspects of technology, and we hope that you can add fresh perspectives to that! We strive to build a community of collaborative, disruptive, and respectful team members who feel empowered to be themselves every day.
- Design, develop, optimize genomic assays for implementation on Volta's proprietary digital fluidic platform.
- Lead the development and optimization of assays such as library preparation Illumina, ONT and PacBio Sequencing.
- Contribute to the management of projects through feasibility, development, and validation.
- Act as the subject matter expert and continuously drive product development through internal and external collaborations.
- PhD or MSc in cellular and/or molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in an assay development environment
- Hands-on experience in next-generation sequencing, e.g. Illumina, Oxford Nanopore or PacBio platforms with various sample types, including purified DNA, microbial, fresh and FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.
- If your work is not in NGS but in a related peripheral field please apply. Examples include synthetic biology, cell and gene therapy, protein sequencing or general experience in biochemistry optimization. Deep expertise in at least one domain is required.
- Experience with new instrument and platform development.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: pro-active team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- You are a continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information and present it to specialists and non-specialists.
Nice to Have
- Experience translating manual workflows into automated methods on microfluidics or other droplet based technologies.
- You have a successful track record working with cross-functional development teams.
- Familiarity with laboratory automation system and enthusiasm for working on evolving prototypes.
Volta Labs offers both competitive cash and equity compensation, as well as health, dental, and vision coverage, and unlimited paid time off. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!